What are Google Lead Form Extensions?
As of early November, Google announced a new extension called Google Lead Form Extensions in Google Ads that will help speed up the process of connecting with leads by allowing a signed-in user to share their contact information with a simple click of the submit button similar to Facebook Lead Ads.
Google Lead Ads or Google Lead Form Extensions can now help businesses quickly capture a potential buyer’s information after they click on your ad by submitting a form directly from your ad campaign. No more relying on your content or website to receive a new form fill if your ad creative is strong enough for someone to simply click on your ad and press submit.
Traditionally, Google Ads only offered these types of ads:
- Clickable ads with links to the website or purchase page.
- Call extension ads where potential leads reach out from your ads directly and call the number provided on your campaign.
- Display ads or video ads remarketing to website visitors
Here’s how Google tracks a click and conversion with a lead form extension
Each click on the lead form ads is tracked as a click and each form submission is considered a lead conversion.
For the business to business marketers, the lead form could tremendously help speed up the sales process by increasing ad interaction while providing an email address for future ad retargeting and correspondence. Usually, Google Ads drives anonymous traffic to your site and only if the site visitor fills out a contact form or downloads a white paper is when the business finds out their email address.
Companies like KickFire, a widely used competitor of DemandBase and ClearBit, can help businesses identify website traffic based on only the IP address of the company visiting the website. There are multiple ways to drive traffic to your site, but what is the point if they do not convert (fill out a form) or somehow let you know they were there. The truth is, only 3%-4% of all website visitors raise their hands and share contact info. By partnering with a company such as KickFire, most of the companies visiting your website can be identified and share via its software as a service, API, Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics, or other delivery methods.
If your business can benefit from an email address instead of some unknown person or bot clicking on your ad, we recommend to update your campaign and start testing the Google Lead Ads immediately.
How to set up Google Lead Ads Forms?
Sign in to your Google Ads account and select the proper account
Click Campaigns on the left side of the home page.
Click the BLUE plus button, and then select New campaign.
In the goals section, select Leads.
Under “Campaign type,” select Search.
Then click Continue.
Enter your campaign settings.
In the “Ad extensions” list, select the lead form extension.
Review and accept the terms of service for this feature.
Create the extension, by selecting the extension call-to-action and entering your extension text. (ex; Learn More, Get Quote, Download, etc)
- Headline (up to 30 characters)
- Business Name (up to 25 characters)
- Description (up to 200 characters)
- Information you can request
- Postal Code
- Phone Number
- Then add a background image
- Recommended 1200 x 628
- Next, create the form SUBMISSION message
- Visit Website
- Include the call to action URL
- You can either download the leads from Google or set up a web hook to capture the leads and deliver to your contact applications like MailChimp, SendGrid, Sendlane, and many others. Each lead will be pushed over to your audience in Mailchimp from the lead ads submission automatically quickly building your list to connect with.
- A web hook lets you link your lead form to your customer data management system to directly receive your collected leads in real-time. If you don’t set up a web hook, you can still manually download your collected leads in the ad extensions table – Google Support page
- Test the data if using a web hook.
- Click SAVE and continue to test your ad copy and track clicks/conversions.
If you have any questions or are struggling to set up the Google Lead Ads Forms, please contact us HERE and Click Track Marketing will be happy to assist you with your campaigns.